- 1 cup of boiled chickpeas or canned
- 2 cloves of garlic (optional)
- 1/3 cup (or more) fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 2/3 cup tahini
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 cup roasted or boiled beets
- a little olive oil (for serving and roasting beetroot)
- Chopped Vegetables (cucumber, red pepper, carrot, radish, cherry tomatoes)
- Breadsticks of the EF ZIN series or Kritsinia XAKOUSTA
for serving: chopped parsley or spring onion, paprika, pine nuts, chopped pistachios or walnuts.
- For the beets: Boil 3-4 beets in a pot, after peeling them first. If we want to bake them, we use the boiled beets, mix them with a little olive oil, season with salt and pepper and bake at 190°C for about 25-30 minutes.
- Soak the chickpeas in a large bowl, covering them with water. Alternatively, if we don’t have time, we use ready-boiled ones. (life happens)
- The next day, wash the chickpeas and boil them in a pot, covering them with water. Simmer for about an hour until they are soft. Drain and let cool slightly.
- This is followed by melting the garlic with the salt and adding the lemon juice. Mix and leave for ten minutes. Strain the juice from the garlic and keep it aside.
- Put the tahini in a food processor then the lemon juice, chickpeas, beets and cumin. We process until we get the texture we want and garnish with whatever we want (chopped parsley or spring onion, paprika, pine nuts, chopped pistachios or walnuts).
- Finally, dip with EF ZIN breadsticks or XAKOUSTA breadsticks